I’VE MANAGED TO GET BOTH MY HUSBAND AND KIDS HOOKED ON GREEN SALADS so I included this Avocado Cilantro Bibb Lettuce Salad because it’s incredibly easy to make and is packed with good fats. And, for those kids who don’t like avocado, don’t worry – it’s so blended into the dressing and they won’t have a clue! I’ve managed to add in some additional fiber too with broccoli stems!
by Carrie Paul
- 1 head bibb lettuce (also known as Boston or butter head)
- 1 cup raw grated broccoli stems (note below)
- ½ cup halved cherry tomatoes
- Option – add crumbled cotija cheese for a non-vegan option
Avocado Dressing: Yield 1-1 and 1/2 cups
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 avocado, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Remove whole chicken from refrigerator and rinse and pat dry. Then place on a cookie sheet.
- Next, add all Spice Rub ingredients into a pint size mason jar (or small bowl) and shake or stir until thoroughly combined.
- Spoon approximately ¼ cup onto chicken and massage all over bird’s skin. Save remaining rub in closed container in refrigerator for up to two weeks and use on fish, beef, or veggies.
- Let rest for 20-30 minutes. This is very important! Do not skip this step. While chicken is resting, turn on BBQ.
- Empty ¼ to ½ of beer (into mouth or if you must…down the drain) and place beer can into chicken’s rear cavity and place on heat resistant roasting pan.
- Place in roasting pan in center of grill, if four burner or one side of grill if only two burners. Turn heat source directly below roasting pan OFF. And, turn indirect heat to medium.
- BBQ for approximately 1 hr. or until juices run clear (or until thermometer inserted into thigh reads 165⁰F)
- Remove chicken and let rest for approximately 15 minutes. Then carefully remove beer can with tongs (very HOT) and enjoy!