GRAIN-FREE TABBOULEH? Sounds like an oxymoron but this recipe eliminates the traditional bulgar wheat and replaces it with protein and vitamin-rich cauliflower! Each refreshing bite of mint, jalapeño and sweet-tangy pomegranate combine with the cinnamon and cumin for a an exquisitely delicious taste. This entire recipe may be made the day before.
by Carrie Paul (Adapted froM Kitchen Matters)
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- Pinch of kosher salt for cooking cauliflower
- ¾ cup diced celery, about 3-4 stalks
- ½ cup finely diced red onion
- 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 small jalapeño, finely chopped, optional
- ½ cup chopped parsley leaves
- 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh mint leaves
- ¼ cup plus 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 large pomegranate, seeds only, approximately 1 cup
Place cauliflower in steamer with a pinch of salt and steam for 3-4 minutes. Then, immediately transfer to ice water bath.
Once cooled and dried, shred cauliflower in food processor with grater attachment. Transfer to a serving bowl.
Stir in remaining ingredients and toss to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Do ahead: Prepare recipe, EXCEPT store pomegranates separately to eliminate possible pomegranate “bleeding”. Store covered in refrigerator.