HEALTHY & DELICIOUS FROZEN POPS for summer fun. As a kid, I remember running excitedly down the black asphalt chasing the sound of the ice-cream truck. Those hot Los Angeles summer days brightened as the tunes crackled out of the painted and stickered “food truck”. It was the bright, multicolored Firecracker that kept me running with coins falling out of my pockets. Today, our neighborhood is missing ice-cream trucks but similar brightly-colored frozen treats are plentiful in grocery stores. Unfortunately, most are filled with unhealthy additives, preservatives and food dyes. I knew my kids could not be deprived of this summer bliss and that I needed to create a healthier dye-free and refined-sugar free option for them.
This Red, White, & Blue Frozen Pop recipe uses fresh fruits (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries), maple syrup, and unsweetened yogurt (dairy-free options are great too) instead of the food dyes, artificial flavors and sweeteners. And, these pops have fiber and protein too! It’s perfect for pool parties, BBQ’s, 4th of July celebrations or just about any warm spring or summer day. And, my kids love making them. Don’t worry about this favorite melting too fast…it’s too good not to inhale!
Red, White, & Blue Frozen Pops
by Carrie Paul
Yield 3-6 popsicles (depending on size of molds)
½ cup blackberries
½ cup blueberries
- 1 tsp. optional acai powder
- 4 Tbsp. maple syrup or honey (divided)
1 cup strawberries (or 1/2 cup strawberries plus 1/2 cup raspberries)
1 cup plain, unsweetened Greek yogurt (coconut or almond for Vegan or dairy-free options)
- Blend blueberries, blackberries, optional acai powder and 1 Tbsp. maple syrup (or honey) in mixer or blender. Fill bottom third of each mold.
- Place in freezer for 1 -2 hours until firm.
- In a small bowl, mix plain unsweetened yogurt with 3 Tbsp. maple syrup (or honey) and pour into Popsicle molds, covering blueberry and blackberry mixture and filling to 2/3 full.
- Place in freezer for an additional 30 minutes.
- Blend strawberries and pour over firmed yogurt mixture in molds.
- Freeze overnight or an additional 6 hours. When ready to serve, run warm water over mold for 10 seconds and slide out of mold – enjoy immediately.