IF YOU HAVE A SWEET TOOTH LIKE ME, THERE’S NO PASSING ON DESSERT. I wish I could take credit for this recipe, but I can’t. This is 100% deliciousness from Against the Grain. Our family eats minimal gluten and even if you don’t—this recipe rocks. Who knew that the Mediterranean staple used in hummus and starch extracted from tropical plants are what make this cookie not just gluten free but GRAIN-FREE too! The tahini and arrowroot are combined with coconut sugar, coconut oil and chocolate chips to create a thin, chewy decadent treat that’s also nut-free! It’s a miracle cookie!
by Danielle Walker (Against the Grain)
Yeilds 12 Cookies
- 1 large egg white or 1 flax egg (1 Tbsp. ground flax seed plus 3 Tbsp. water and rest 15 min.)
- 2 Tbsp. melted ghee or coconut oil
- 1/3 cup coconut crystals
- 3 Tbsp. honey
- ½ cup tahini
- ¼ cup arrowroot powder
- 1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup chopped dark chocolate
- ¼ cup dairy- and soy free chocolate chips
- Preheat oven 350⁰F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or using an electric hand mixer, beat egg white or flax-egg, ghee, coconut crystals, and honey on medium speed until smooth.
- Add the tahini, arrowroot powder, vanilla, salt and baking soda and beat on medium speed for 15 seconds. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Drop spoonfuls of dough onto the baking sheet, then gently spread the dough a bit with the back of a spoon. The dough can also be left as mounds for less crispy cookies.
- Bake 12-15 minutes, until golden brown. Allow to cool on a wire rack
Note: Double or triple the recipe and store cookies in a sealed container in the freezer for up to 6 months. The cookies are every bit as good straight out of the freezer, or thaw at room temperature for 30 minutes