IN SERACH OF THE PERFECT SIDE? I love this Roasted Cauliflower (or Broccoflower) Salad with Lentils and Dates. This recipe is loaded with antioxidants, vitamins and more animal-free protein and is also a great entrée salad too. The rich flavors of the tahini, ginger, and cinnamon combine incredibly with the sweetness from the roasted cauliflower and the dates! Bonus points for simplicity—this salad can be prepared in advanced (separated) and then combined and tossed before dinner.
by Carrie Paul (Adapted from Green Kitchen Stories)
- ½ cup raw almonds, halved or coarsely chopped
- 1 cup green (or orange) lentils, rinsed and soaked
- 1 head of cauliflower (or broccoflower), cut into 1 in florets
- ¼ cup plus 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground ginger
- Pinch of cayenne
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 Tbsp. tahini
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. honey
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 10 dates, pitted and chopped
- ½ small red onion, sliced
- 4 cups loosely packed spinach
- Preheat oven to 350⁰F. Bake almonds on a cookie sheet for approximately 10 minutes, until golden. Remove and let cool. Then increase oven temperature to 425⁰F.
- In a saucepan, steam lentils for approximately 15 minutes, until tender. Drain and cool.
- On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss cauliflower with ¼ cup olive oil, cumin, cinnamon, ginger and cayenne. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for 20 minutes (stirring half way through) until golden.
- In a large bowl, whisk the tahini with the lemon juice, honey, remaining 1 Tbsp. olive oil and water. Add lentils and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Add roasted cauliflower, almonds, dates, onion, and spinach. Toss and enjoy.