IN SEARCH OF A FOOL PROOF BBQ RECIPE? I might have found you just the solution that stirs sweet, tangy, and spicy flavors all together! A pinch of cumin, coriander, paprika, garlic, lemon, salt and pepper with a splash of cayenne for a little kick and a can of beer is all you’ll need–now, here’s where you choose: Do you guzzle half of a cold one down (grinning) or shove a half-empty beer can up the bird’s ass and walk away smiling? Protein done!
by Carrie Paul (Adapted by FoodNetwork George Duran)
- 1 whole organic chicken
- 1 beer can (any variety of your choice)
Spice Rub: Yield ¾ cup
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp. ground coriander
- 1 Tbsp. paprika
- 1 Tbsp. kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon or lime, zested
- Remove whole chicken from refrigerator and rinse and pat dry. Then place on a cookie sheet.
- Next, add all Spice Rub ingredients into a pint size mason jar (or small bowl) and shake or stir until thoroughly combined.
- Spoon approximately ¼ cup onto chicken and massage all over bird’s skin. Save remaining rub in closed container in refrigerator for up to two weeks and use on fish, beef, or veggies.
- Let rest for 20-30 minutes. This is very important! Do not skip this step. While chicken is resting, turn on BBQ.
- Empty ¼ to ½ of beer (into mouth or if you must…down the drain) and place beer can into chicken’s rear cavity and place on heat resistant roasting pan.
- Place in roasting pan in center of grill, if four burner or one side of grill if only two burners. Turn heat source directly below roasting pan OFF. And, turn indirect heat to medium.
- BBQ for approximately 1 hr. or until juices run clear (or until thermometer inserted into thigh reads 165⁰F)
- Remove chicken and let rest for approximately 15 minutes. Then carefully remove beer can with tongs (very HOT) and enjoy!