IF YOU LIKE YORK PEPPERMINT PATTIES, you’ll have to try these corn syrup-free Dark Chocolate Peppermint Patties hand dipped and sprinkled with sea salt AND crumbled dye-free candy canes! Holiday cheer is in this kitchen!
by Carrie Paul (Adapted from http://www.ohnuts.com)
Makes: 30-36 patties
- 2 ¼ cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp. softened butter
- 1 tsp. peppermint extract
- 2-3 Tbsp. cream (or milk substitute)
- 1 bag chocolate chips-dark or milk (I use EnjoyLife© dairy, nut-free)
- 3-4 Tbsp. crushed peppermint candies (TruJoy Sweets© organic candies are colored with fruit juice)
- Coarse sea salt to taste
- In a food processor, mix sugar, butter, peppermint extract, and 2 Tbsp. cream together until combined and creamy. If mixture is still crumbly, add additional 1 Tbsp. cream.
- Transfer to plastic wrap and roll into ¾ to 1-inch log. Chill in freezer until firm, approximately 20-30 minutes or overnight in refrigerator.
- In microwave-safe container, microwave half of the bag of chocolate chips at half power for 45 seconds. Stir thoroughly. Continue to microwave and stir at 30 second intervals on half power until smooth and completely melted.
- Unwrap and cut chilled roll into thin slices and dip into melted chocolate using a dipping or fondue stick. Transfer to parchment candied and sea salt. Return to refrigerator to firm up.
- Store in freezer for 1-2 weeks or refrigerator for 3-4 days.