WHO SAID EATING GLUTEN FREE DIDN’T TASTE GOOD? You don’t have to compromise taste to eat gluten-free! These muffins are moist, fluffy, sweet, and numbingly delicious without any gumming agents!! I used a combination of oat, rice, and garbanzo bean/fava bean flour! And they can be made refined-sugar free and nut-free!
by Carrie Paul
Makes: 48-60 mini muffins
- 2 eggs (or flax-“egg” equivalent = 2 Tbsp. ground flax + 6 Tbsp. water)
- 4 Ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup coconut oil softened, plus extra for prepping pan
- ½ cup Home-made Nutella (www.ohsheglows.com) OR ½ cup unsweetened nut, seed, or tahini butter
- for refined sugar-free option
- Instant coffee, ½ starbucks Via pack (omit if using Home-made Nutella)
- 2 cups GF flour (1 cup oat, ½ cup brown rice, ½ cup garbanzo bean/fava bean flour)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 3 Tbsp. arrowroot powder
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips (Enjoy Life) OR 1/3 cup cacao nibs for refined sugar-free option
- Bring eggs to room temperature or make flax “egg” in small dish and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Bring bananas, apple sauce, maple syrup, coconut oil and nut/seed butter to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 325 F and prepare mini muffin pans with brushed coconut oil.
- Combine mashed bananas with eggs (or flax “eggs”), vanilla extract, apple sauce, maple syrup,coconut oil, nut/seed butter in medium sized bowl. Stir until just combined.
- In large bowl, whisk instant coffee (optional), all flours, baking soda, arrowroot powder, and salt.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips or cacao nibs.
- Using an ice cream scoop or melon baller, fill mini muffin tins or paperliners ¾ full.
- Bake for 9-12 minutes for flax “egg” mini muffins or 15-20 minutes if using eggs.
- Cool for 15-20 and then enjoy.