CRAVING THOSE CARB-RIDEN, GREASY LITTLE PIZZA BITES THAT CLAIMED AN EYE-LEVEL SPOT IN EVERY GROCERY STORE BACK IN CIRCA 2004? Well, fret no more–I’ve cooked up (literally) the perfect solution, savory cheese and tomato topped kohlrabi! You know that vegetable that’s the new “it” thing at the farmer’s market? Well turns out it tastes pretty darn yummy after a little heating and seasoning!
Gluten Free, Nut Free
Yield: 8-12 (depending on size of kohlrabi)
- 1 kohlrabi, ¼” slices
- ½ tsp. coarse kosher salt, divided
- 2 tomatoes, ¼” slices
- ½ – 1 tsp. fresh thyme, chopped
- ½ – 1 tsp. fresh rosemary, chopped
- Olive oil, drizzle
- 12 Mini mozzarella balls, halved
- 1-2 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese, grated
- Fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Prepare baking sheet with parchment paper. Spray olive oil onto baking pan.
- Peel and slice kohlrabi into ¼” thick pieces (a mandolin works great) and place on prepared baking sheet. Spray each slice of kohlrabi with olive oil and sprinkle with ¼ tsp. salt.
- Slice tomatoes into ¼” pieces and place on top of kohlrabi slices.
- Season with pepper, thyme, rosemary and remaining ¼ tsp. salt.
- Bake uncovered for approximately 40 minutes, until golden brown and tender, but still firm.
- Remove from oven, add two mozzarella pieces and parmesan cheese to each and return to oven for an additional 3 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Add basil leaves and serve. This is a great appetizer or side dish.